Tuesday, November 28, 2006

The DECISION...kind of...


Today has been a long day...we have been trying to decide on a place to live. There are so many, but none of them has really been "the one." Sounds like I am looking for a husband! It's true though, a home is that place you can find refuge, a comfort from the harsh world and we certainly know how especially important that is here! Today we had a "look see" or as they call it here; an optical evaluation, (I'm not kidding, that IS what they call it), at a penthouse suite at a condo just around the corner from where we are staying now and Nate's office.

I am torn so here is the PRO and CON list of the housing:

Condo in the "Americanized" area of town
Pros:
  • clean and nice area
  • overlooks a golf course, con: golf course is private, bigger con: it has a huge $$ for membership
  • large bathrooms and a jetted tub
  • huge closets
  • nice kitchens
  • high security, kind of important with a kid, no?
  • around 70% of the tenants are expats hopefully that means other kids (but not too many...)
  • furniture is nice
  • an extra room for ALL OUR VISITORS, or another baby whichever comes first

Cons:
  • not close to Nate's office, but Nate will have the driver, but traffic could be bad, but traffic could be bad if Holden and I have to come out here for playgroups....since there are kids here, American Kids!
  • not close to anything (but a huge market), but that is certainly NOT walking distance
  • more expensive by 15,000 php a month

Penthouse

Pros:

  • huge
  • great views of the city
  • 2 levels high
  • Hello...is IS the Penthouse
  • there are bars and resturants since it is a hotel as well
  • the price!
  • again with the extra room
  • close to Nate's office
Cons:
  • Again with the penthouse theme: it would take forever on the elevator to stop at all the floors between lobby and penthouse
  • small bathroom
  • small kitchen: but as Nate says, who is going to be spending time in the kitchen? Not us...the cook.
  • no closet space
  • very little securitythere is some serious work to be done, cracks in the walls(that makes me nervous), floor planks coming up, painting to be done, light fixtures and AC to be put in, etc Could take a month to get it all done. Pro: could be gorgeous when it is!!!
  • who knows what the furniture might look like
  • Far away from all other people who look even remotely like us

I, in no way shape or form have every been considered indecisive. On this, Nate is ready to string me up by my toes, for lack of a decision. Time is ticking and I would love to have a palce before Christmas. I just need to find the right place in the right location with the right furniture and the right layout and the right pool, and the right list goes on. Heaven forbid we EVER build a house. I guess since there isn't much else for me to do here yet, I am making this my "project" at hand. I will let you know the status! Wish me luck!



Here is a picture of "the view" from the penthouse.

No comments: