Friday, December 21, 2007

It never started off fair

The phrases "Are you still reading that book?" and "You're already done with that book?" are commonly heard in our household. I don't think Nate is a slow reader, but I am a very fast reader, maybe more of a skimmer. I can't retain much from books I read or movies I see. In fact, I have re-read books without knowing it until mid-way through. This little habit of mine drives Nate nuts.
Nate and I have both chosen children's names from books: my choice Holden from "The Catcher in the Rye" and Nate's choice Roarke from "The Fountainhead" both books of which the other hasn't read yet. (Side note: I don't know what happened in Utah's public school system, but apparently "The Catcher in the Rye" was not on the senior reading list.)

When we were getting ready to go to China, Nate and I were browsing around the bookstore for a couple of books to read in our "downtime" and I get the not-so-brilliant idea that this would be a great time for us to read these books. I should have known when he asked "really?"with a smirk on his face that this wasn't a fair fight. I am proud to announce that Nate finished his tiny book of around 200 pages WAY before my 600 page whopper. Good job dear, this time you win.

No comments: